Feb 24th, 2021New paper with QuoData contribution: Survey of gunshot residue prevalence on the hands of individuals
A new paper in Forensic Chemistry (Vol. 23, Elsevier) describes a study on Gunshot Residue that was sponsored by the European Union. GSR particles in various populations were compared on the basis of carbon stub samples from 1300 individuals.
The stubs were analysed for the presence of PbBaSb particles using scanning electron microscopy. A statistical evaluation was performed to estimate if gunshot residue is more prevalent in specific subgroups. In order to identify important population characteristics and differences between the various subgroups, a customized logit model was applied to the data set. Variability across laboratories, countries and samples were taken into account in order to determine prediction ranges for the interpretation of the presence of GSR particles in individuals from the different subgroups.
The paper was authored by scientists of
- Netherlands Forensic Institute (NFI),
- German Bundeskriminalamt (BKA)
- Swedish National Forensic Centre,
- QuoData GmbH,
- Institute of Criminalistics (ICP), Czech Republic,
- Scientific Police Laboratory (LPC), Portugal,
- National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), Finland.